- Posted by admin
- On September 19, 2016
- 1 Comments
- data acquisition and data handling
Data acquisition and data handling are not limited just to storage and retrieval of data, but it is a comprehensive development of procedures and policies to manage the data electronically and non-electronic means.
Since data is the most vital element, you must have methods to manage the data integrity. Maintaining confidentiality, security and prevention are what we mean by it. When you handle data electronically using a software tool, it becomes pretty easy and manageable.
Well-planned data management results in efficient and effective storage, retrieval, backup and disposal of data items.
Software-based data acquisition and data handling versus manual
Earlier, data management activities were handled using manual systems. Paper files, journals, and handwritten or printed notes were kept in secure places. However, there were several issues of data security and safety that resulted in the evolution of computer-based smart data management systems. Today, the manual storage has been replaced by electronic data storage except for a few areas where physical record keeping is mandatory.
Benefits of maintaining data using software
- When you store data electronically using software, it is always protected with login and password. Thus, there is no risk of unauthorized access or intrusion.
- A system can create a comprehensive hierarchy of user rights with specific privileges. Managing access rights (defining new rights or adding/removing existing ones) is pretty easy and practical.
- Database and software are protected by virus protection system and firewall so that there is no threat of data loss.
- The storage media and equipment have limited physical access. The data is never stored in a standalone system. Rather, it exists in a well-secured storage area in the data center.
- When data migration happens from one server to another, it is ensured that every bit is transferred. Also, the data from the old server is deleted.
- There is a guaranty of 100% data recovery and restoration in case of data loss.
- Data storage media is updated as and when new technology appears on the horizon. System administrators make sure that there no outdated storage devices in the system.
- Backup copies are kept at multiple locations to ensure data redundancy.
- When the data transfers via the wireless medium, e.g. the Internet, it always traverses in an encrypted manner to avoid accidental exposure.
- Every piece of data has the date and timestamp when it gets first recorded in the system. It avoids manipulation and fraudulent activity.
Hiring a document management service provider
Organizations appoint expert data management service providers for their data storage and retrieval needs. Once they understand the needs, the appropriate solution is given to the client. Adequate planning, development, implementation, and training are required when you automate the stuff. The team members should be given in-depth operational and maintenance knowhow about it. If you outsource the stuff completely, then it is important to define Service Level Agreements, Non-disclosure agreements and Turnaround Time. Data storage, retrieval, and backup policy should be comprehensive and unambiguous. Using professional software enhances operational efficiency in the organization.