- Posted by admin
- On July 19, 2016
- 0 Comments
- client value
You have a headache. You can swallow a pill; hundreds of pills are available to cure headaches; even the shopkeeper will suggest something. But you go to the doctor, because a doctor is an expert. You can consult him. He will not only recommend a pill but also tell you the cause of the headache. He does not want to sell you a pill. YOU want it, yet, you prefer to consult rather than take your decision. Maybe, the doctor will prescribe the same formula bearing another brand name. Yet, you spend for the pill in addition to the consultation charges, when you could have done without the latter. After all expert guidance has no equivalent. This is true in every respect, whether you want to buy a pill or anything else.
In spite of this human tendency to seek advice before taking a decision, it is strange that business organizations employ a team of sales people who possess marketing skills but they have scarce technical knowledge about the products they sell. The most that they can do is to give you a brochure and point out the specifications and features mentioned therein.
Selling involves some understanding of human behaviour and psychology. Taking into consideration the human tendency to seek assurance, it is certainly beneficial for the marketing team to be technically sound and prepared. Remember, when you ask yourself the question, “How do I create client value?” Your focus is the client and not the product.
If you wish to be qualified as a consultant, you can follow 4 simple steps that will help you to create client value through a consultative approach:
- Discovery: You must delve deep into the role of a client in order to discover what his exact needs are. You must also try and understand which factors influence his decisions.
- Deliberation – After understanding client needs you must think over, deliberate with yourself and arrive at a solution that will enable you to handle the client.
- Discussion – Now that you have a well thought out solution for the client, discuss it with him; pour out a list of benefits he will get by purchasing the product and push him to take a positive decision.
- Determination – all the while, you must not slip over your firm and determined stance of succeeding through negotiation and persuasion.
If you follow these simple steps, you can be sure that you are on the right path for creating client value. You are now on the verge of beginning the next part of the process which will prepare you for the face-to-face encounter with your client, when he comes with a mind full of cobwebs of doubts and questions and you answer him with calm, in a controlled and polite tone and clear off each doubt with a stroke of you technical know-how tool. Let him bombard you with questions, you have your answers and explanations ready.
The next step is the confrontation with the client. Change your perspective of looking at the issue and you will be enlightened about all that matters in creating client value. Once you master the technique, there is nothing simpler.
Now here are some tips that will take you through the procedure of creating client value:
- Be a good listener. Listen patiently to all that the client has to say. Do not be in a hurry to pour out what you are prepared with. A client will feel very happy when you listen to him with interest. Nod your head from time to time or respond with words like “OK” or “I see…” to indicate that you are taking him seriously.
- Listen for what the client does not tell you. Ask him questions to fill the gaps. Do not lead him to answers; let him lead you to his goals. You cannot play a consultative role if you lack necessary information from the client. Just like the doctor or lawyer from whom you cannot hide anything.
- As you gather information from the client, take an opportunity to plan your strategy. You can note down what you MUST say and must NOT say when you get your turn to talk.
- Once you know the goals of the client, you can tailor your presentation to meet his needs. Emphasize that he is the focal point; as if everything is directed for his benefits and satisfaction.
- When it’s your turn to do the talking, take over the stage completely. Bring out your pre-prepared answers that will prove to be your strongest weapons in dealing with the client.
- Present everything expertly, professionally and technically. Give figures ad statistics. Sketch diagrams and explain. Do it quickly, without pausing to reflect. Impress with your expertise. Here is your real challenge as a consultant.
- Finally, give your client an attractive packaged solution as if it is solely and exclusively designed for him.
Creating client value is the key factor in business. It results in establishing permanent relationship with clients. Business revolves around clients; clients are the cause of business and the end of business. Build a relationship of trust. Let the client know that you do have the expertise to solve his problems. If you fail to do this, the client will not bother to consult you. Consultation pre-supposes knowledge, experience and expertise.
And now let us release the secret from the bag; you approach a client fully prepared to confront him. Very few clients prepare themselves to interview the sales personnel. Don’t give them time to think. That is why you should hurry through the explanation. Hence, you have a great advantage over them and you can influence their decisions within a short while. If you play your part as an expert consultant, you are sure to succeed in creating client value!!